Wednesday, June 13, 2012

E3 a week late

I know E3 was last week but inspiration didn't strike until THIS week, so deal with it!



Ok, time for a rant!



When I saw Playstaion's reveal of Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale the first thing that came to my mind was "This is bullshit. I bet they got booed off stage for this stupidity." But of course I was wrong.

I wasn't AT E3 but I did do some sifting around of articles and videos and comments regarding this game. I was shocked that people were completely on board with it! They wanted it! They were excited to play what is a Super Smash Bros. knock off! I feel like an episode of South Park when I say, "Nintendo did it!"

What? Do you require a lack of ingenuity to work for Playstation? They copied the idea wholesale!

The counter argument to this (that I saw a lot of) was "if it's just like Smash Bros. that means it'll be good. Stop hating!" I have no doubt in my mind the game will be fun. That's not my point. My point is that it's nothing new! It's something we've seen and years later! Playstation is just lapping up Nintendo's sloppy seconds and everyone is heralding them as geniuses!

But when a good game (like Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations) does "nothing new" its deemed a pointless game. "If you didn't do something new, I won't buy it." Its such hypocrisy that it physically stings! Ace Attorney was an excellent series, and though they didn't add anything to the gameplay between Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations it was still an excellent game.

And yet the Ace Attorney series seems to be dying, bogged down with as many different unnecessary gimmicks to try and appeal to the fan base that wants "something new." But I'm willing to bet those same fans are on all fours begging for Playstation to release a sequel to a game they haven't even played yet.

Now I know they tried to make it different by changing how you earn KO's and points, but those aren't even changes. Not really.

See, instead of knocking your opponent off the stage (which you still have to do), you can only achieve stage escape velocity if you've charged your "Smash Gauge." (nice original name) This is basically an inverse % gauge that Smash Bros. uses. You can't knock an opponent off at 0% (without aid of instant kills) but you can EASILY knock an opponent off at 999%!


No comments:

Post a Comment